The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, has said there were about 4,000 Nigerians in diaspora who planned to come back to Nigeria.
“By God’s grace, on Wednesday we will start to bring back Nigerians from outside the country,” he said at a Presidential Taskforce briefing on Monday.
The Nigerians In Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) had earlier said that citizens in other countries (who wanted to return) would be evacuated starting from this week.
But Onyeama added that the biggest challenge in bringing Nigerians back to the country was where to quarantine them on their arrival, a problem that appeared to have been sorted out.
Initially, he had tweeted that government had located some hotels in Abuja and Lagos and necessary arrangements were being made.
The Federal Government on Friday declared that it won’t severe diplomatic relationship with South Africa despite the renewed xenophobic attacks on Nigerians.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama made the disclosure when he appeared before the senate committee on Diaspora at the National Assembly.
Onyeama said taking such action would not be in the interest of Nigerians in South Africa, adding that Nigeria would consider other options apart from diplomatic ties severance, to resolve the ongoing crisis.
He said: “We are not thinking to the stage of diplomatic ties called off. There are various options. We are not by any means at a stage where we are breaking diplomatic relations with South Africa.