The federal government have concluded plans to evacuate Nigerians who are willing to return home this week, The Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri Erewa revealed.
She revealed this when she tweeted on Monday, she urged those wishing to return to the country to approach their respective missions for guidelines.
“Planned evacuation of Nigerians begins from this week. UAE, UK, USA etc. All applicants should please check with the various missions for updates and protocols to abide by. May the Lord heal the world,” she tweeted.
Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffery Onyeama, who had earlier confirmed that the evacuation process would begin from May 4, also said the government was still trying to identify hotel accommodations where the evacuees would be quarantined, so as avoid further coronavirus spread.
“We don’t want Nigerians abroad coming in with more COVID19 cases. We have located some hotels in Abuja and Lagos and made necessary arrangements, but the passengers will have to pay for the hotels,” he said in tweet.
Recall that China and Nigeria relations came into question when videos of Nigerians being maltreated in China surfaced online.
Planned evacuation of Nigerians begins from this week. UAE. UK. USA etc All applicants should please check with the various missions for updates and protocols to abide by. May the Lord heal the world
— Abike Dabiri-Erewa (@abikedabiri) May 4, 2020
We don't want Nigerians abroad coming in with more #COVID19 cases. We are trying to find quarantine centres approved by medical authorities. But most hotels do not want to be used for quarantine centres.
— Geoffrey Onyeama (@GeoffreyOnyeama) April 28, 2020
China had also denied any wrongdoing, saying that foreign nationals were treated equally in line with the