Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Amnesty International (AI) has joined the EndSARS campaign in Nigeria. The human rights organisation on Monday joined the condemnation of the Nigeria Police over the killing of one Kolade Johnson. Johnson was shot accidentally by SARS officers who were pursuing another man at a football viewing centre. AI said it has documented a pattern of grave human rights violations carried out by SARS since 2016.
2. The ongoing budget defence has brought to the fore the sum of N1.7billion cash distribution to exporters by the Minister of Trade, Industry and Investment, Mr. Okechukwu Enelamah, without the approval of the National Assembly. The budget defence that lasted for five hours on Monday turned sour when the Minister could not explain the National Assembly’s approval of the N1.7 billion distributed to exporters through his office, which was in his 2018 budget performance.
3. President Muhammadu Buhari has directed that the State House Medical Centre (SHMC) be reverted to a Clinic to serve the original purpose of its establishment. A statement by Deputy Director (Information), State House Media Unit, Mr Attah Esa, said the Permanent Secretary, State House, Mr Jalal Arabi, announced this on Monday in Abuja.
4. Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State has said that he is confident that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) will issue a Certificate of Return to him as the Senator-elect for Imo West Senatorial District. Okorocha expressed this optimism while speaking with State House Correspondents after a private meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
5. The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has said its Special Forces (SF) team successfully repelled attacks by bandits who attempted to invade Hayin Mahe and Hayin Kanawa Villages in Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara. Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, in a statement on Monday in Abuja, said that the attack by the bandits was carried out on Sunday. According to him, the prompt response of the SF team followed intelligence reports of the activities of the bandits in the area.
6. The Senate Committee on Finance, on Monday queried the Federal Ministry of Finance for high budgetary released to itself and some of its parastatals. Report claims that members of the committee raised the question when officials of the ministry appeared before them to defend their 2019 budget proposals. The committee noted that amid complaints of paucity of funds by other government institutions, the ministry of Finance was making high budget for itself.
7. Judiciary workers in Kogi State on Monday protested an alleged plot by the State Government to remove the Chief Judge, Justice Nasiru Ajanah from office. It was reported that Kogi State Governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello over the weekend allegedly instructed the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Matthew Kolawole to unlawfully remove the state Chief Judge, Justice Nasiru Ajanah from office.
8. An Ebute Meta Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Monday ordered that Abiodun Ibraheem should be kept behind bars for allegedly raping a married woman. The Magistrate, Mrs O.R. Williams-Isichie, however, adjourned until May 2 for an advice from the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions. Ibraheem, 35, is standing trial on a three-count charge of forceful sexual intercourse, conspiracy and abduction.
9. The Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has described the All Progressives Congress, APC, as “bad losers”, following their defeat at the governorship elections. Ortom said the comments by APC leaders since he was declared winner of the just concluded governorship election, was an indication that the party was a bad loser and has no good plan for the state. He made the remark in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Tever Akase, on Monday.
10. The Nigerian Navy, NN, Monday declared that the aptitude test for the 2019 recruitment exercise will hold on April 13, in 30 centres across the nation. Naval spokesman, Commodore Suleman Dahun in a statement said applicants should visit www.joinnigeriannavy.com for names of shortlisted candidates. He added that candidates are to report by 8:00 am at their chosen centres selected during the online registration as indicated against their names.